Anna is an award-winning materials scientist, engineer and communicator, and in 2017 was named Young Engineer of the Year by the Royal Academy of Engineering. She regularly performs stand-up comedy about materials and engineering as part of Science Showoff at venues from the local pub to the Edinburgh Fringe. In 2017 she was one of 10 FameLab national finalists.
Her public science demos are notorious for their scale and flare, and she has demonstrated experiments such as her hand-built Rubens’ Tube to adult and family audiences at venues like The Royal Institution and the Bloomsbury Theatre.
Anna has discussed materials engineering on numerous national radio and TV programs, including BBC Radio 3, and produces her own podcast about materials called ‘rial talk. As an author she is a contributor to Materials World magazine and the Times Higher Education supplement, and has written a chapter on smart materials for Professor Jim Al-Khalili’s new popular science book, ‘What’s Next?’.
In her spare time, Anna plays the trumpet and is training to swim the English Channel in July 2018.
“Anna is a true original, an impressive talent. She is a fantastic performer who brings a fresh approach to materials science. Entertaining and enlightening in equal measure.” – Professor Mark Miodownik
“Anna is almost unique in the UK; a young woman in engineering who’s accomplished and intelligent but also hilarious, brave and willing to challenge orthodoxies in amazing ways. Oh, and she can do it all on stage too.” – Dr Steve Cross
- The Future of ‘Smart Materials’ – solo show | Monday 5th February, 7pm for 7:30pm | The Lighthouse, Shoreditch. Tickets here.
- The Nottingham Science Festival
- Smart Materials – solo show | Monday 19th February, 6:30pm for 7pm | The Television Workshop | Tickets here.
- Science Showoff | Tuesday 20th February, 6:30pm for 7pm | Rough Trade | Tickets coming soon.
- All-Star Science Riot, with Steve Cross and Alex Lathbridge | Wednesday 21st February, 6:30pm for 7pm | National Video Game Arcade | Tickets coming soon.